Sunday, July 24, 2005

Erratum

I wrote below that the issue for Christians (on abortion) is whether or not it is a good idea for a woman to terminate a healthy pregnancy. You would think that after 1st-year law school one would be able to zero in on a crux of a matter; apparently, my brain sagged there momentarily and I asked a silly question. The issue is, of course: what is a fetus?

I owe a debt of gratitude to both you guys for prodding me (unintentionally, I know) into thinking about this matter. I ran off a copy of "Roe" and am reading it now for the first time. I simply did not know that abortions could be had as easily (within certain time limits) as they could in many states prior to 1973; I see better now precisely what the decision did to affect what states can do regarding abortions.

Also, is it me or is Nebraska just the absolute worst place on the face of the earth to live from about ten in the morning until nine o'clock at night during the whole month of July? Then at nine it's perfect again.

Jon: I was outside tonight after three of our four kids were in bed, twilight, the locusts chirping wildly (I love that sound). Kelly and Stella were sitting on our little patio and I walked down to the shop to bring the lawnmower up to the house for tomorrow. It's about a 500-foot walk and was getting dark fast, so when I got down there and realized I had forgotton the key I swore to myself. As I was walking back I looked toward the house and saw a toddler playfully stomping about on the sidewalk. Of course it was Stella, but for one second I believe I had just a taste of what I think Chesterton is talking about in "Manalive". In that slender moment I got to see her for the first time, and I didn't even have to go around the world to get it, just to the shed and back. If I forgot to say so, thanks for recommending that book and I haven't forgotton that you want to produce a stage version of it. A great idea!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home