Thursday, May 19, 2005

New Music, my book

I just got the new System of a Down CD, Mezmerize. You guys might like it. They're definitely a different breed of heavy metal. If you're a little more adventurous, you might want to check out the song "Happy?" from Mudvayne's new CD, Lost and Found. The song is the featured video.

In other news, since last Thursday I've written about 9,000 words in my book. This is the result of nearly constant work, and it brings me up to over 14,000 words total (59 double-spaced pages). The average novel appears to be about 50,000 words, but my goal is 40,000. I'm not really sure how to meet that goal, though, because I feel like I'm over half-done already.

When classes start again, I'll work more on editing the story.

Also, I've been putting quotes at the beginning of each section, and I sent out four requests to different record labels and publishers for permission to use the material. Most of the quotes are from the Bible though, and I'm not sure how to ask God for permission.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that you mentioned it, since you are presumably going to use an English translation, rather than the original Greek or Hebrew, you must get permission from the publisher of whatever translation you use. Isn't that right?

8:54 AM  
Blogger Full Metal Attorney said...

I'm not really sure. I was going to look into that, and if necessary I'll just use the King James Version (it's like 500 years old, so no one has the rights).

9:10 AM  
Blogger Moise said...

I was always told that you didn't even have to really cite the Bible because presumably everyone knows the bible so well you wouldn't need to cite it. However, this was from a fairly odd source (my crazy old philosophy prof). Also, scholarly citing doesn't really have anything to do with copyright law. My guess is you'd probably be fine with the KJV.

This is what I googled for the NIV translation

The NIV text may be quoted in any form (written, visual, electronic, or audio), up to and inclusive of 500 verses or less without written permission, providing the verses quoted do not amount to a complete book of the Bible, do not comprise 25% or more of the total text of the work in which they are quoted, and the verses are not being quoted in a commentary or other Biblical reference work. This permission is contingent upon an appropriate copyright acknowledgment.

Scripture quotations designated (NIV) are from THE HOLY BIBLE: NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. All rights are reserved by Zondervan Publishing House. The "NIV" and "New International Version" trademarks are registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office by:

International Bible Society
1820 Jet Stream Drive
Colorado Springs, Colorado 80921, USA
In the US, phone: (719) 488-9200

7:28 AM  
Blogger Full Metal Attorney said...

I suppose an appropriate copyright acknowledgement would be "NIV" after the verse and a little shout-out (TRL Style!) to Zondervan on the copyright page.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home